Hyderabad: Bank vacated after employee dies of Covid


Hyderabad: The commercial branch office of a prominent bank at Koti in the city was vacated on Monday after one of its employees died, reportedly due to COVID-19.

Though the employee was on leave since one month, he had visited the bank on May 14 on some work. According to the police, the employee was down with pneumonia. However, after Covid tests, he tested positive for the coronavirus, a bank official said.

Immediately after the development, police and GHMC officials rushed to the bank and as a precautionary measure, the entire office at Koti was vacated. After spraying disinfectants, the health status of 40 employees at the branch was also tested and though none of them had any symptoms, they were directed to be under home quarantine for 14 days.

“Regarding services at the bank, the police directed us to close the operations for 14 days. However, consumers can carry out all transactions in other branches of the bank. Operations in other branches at the Koti premises will continue as usual,” he said.

Meanwhile, the management of a bank in the old city from where 13 employees were shifted to the Nature Cure Hospital on Saturday, heaved a sigh of relief after health officials declared that the employees had tested negative for COVID-19. They were discharged from the Nature Cure hospital late on Sunday night. They were shifted to the hospital after police found that a woman, who tested positive for COVID-19, had visited the bank a few days ago.

“Though the employees tested negative, the police and health officials directed us to make them stay under home quarantine,” a senior official of the bank said.

16 test positive in Mangalhat

In another development, 16 persons tested positive after they attended an engagement ceremony at Mangalhat on May 11. The groom’s father too had died on May 16 due to ill health. One of the family members had contracted the virus after visiting Jiyaguda a week ago and had developed fever. He, however, did not reveal the details of his visit to the family. It came to light only after he tested positive.

Doctors had conducted tests on 33 persons who attended the ceremony, of whom 16 turned positive. All of them were undergoing treatment at Gandhi Hospital.

Now you can get handpicked stories from Telangana Today on Telegram everyday. Click the link to subscribe.

Click to follow Telangana Today Facebook page and Twitter .