Directed by Abbas-Mustan, ‘Baazigar’ was released in 1993. Starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol Devgn and Shilpa Shetty in lead roles, the film was a blockbuster hit of the year.
In this film, Shah Rukh Khan played an avenger who murders his girlfriend, and woos her younger sister too to get back at the girls’ father, and impressed audience with his flawless performance in his first-ever negative role.
* ‘Baazigar’ is nothing but a gambler and the character of this gambler revolves around someone who can do anything to get what he wants.
* The story was adapted from a Gujarati novel titled ‘Saraswatichandra’ written by Govardhanram Madhavaram Tripathi.
* The film is known as a remake of the Hollywood movie ‘A Kiss Before Dying’ (1991) which featured Matt Dillon and Sean Young.
* This film marks Shah Rukh Khan’s solo lead. Before this movie, he had acted in several unmemorable roles like in ‘Idiot’, ‘Maya Memsaab’ and ‘In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones’.
* It was actually Sridevi who was considered to play both the roles of Kajol and Shilpa, but the director duo went against this idea. So, it was finally Shilpa Shetty, who made her Bollywood debut with this film, and Kajol who were cast as the leading ladies.
* ‘Baazigar’ is the first film wherein SRK played an anti-hero role. He was approached by Abbas-Mustan after actors like Salman Khan, Anil Kapoor and Akshay Kumar turned down the offer.
* SRK won the Filmfare for the Best Actor that year.
* Even Anu Malik won the award for Best Music Direction after composing songs such as ‘Baazigar O Baazigar’ and ‘Kitabein Bohot Si’.
* The song ‘Yeh Kaali Kaali Aankhein’ earned Kumar Sanu the Filmfare for the Best Male Singer.
* It was the same with writers Javed Siddiqui, Akash Khurana and Robin Bhatt, who took home the Best Screenplay Award.